Hobbyzone Apprentice S 2 1.2m RTF with SAFE
Even if you’ve never flown a radio controlled (RC) airplane before, the HobbyZone Apprentice S 2 1.2m is designed to make learning to fly with a more “traditional” trainer easy and fun! It’s an updated version of one of our best-selling trainer aircraft – the Mini Apprentice S 1.2m – and is scaled down from the larger E-flite Apprentice STS 1.5m design so it’s more affordable and more convenient to fly at large parks and sports fields in addition to typical RC flying fields. The Apprentice S 2 is equipped with Horizon Hobby’s exclusive and innovative SAFE technology, making it possible for almost anyone to learn to fly successfully. Beneath its durable exterior, pilots will find an efficient brushless motor along with a telemetry-capable ESC plus a Smart battery and charger (battery and charger sold separately for the BNF Basic version). The wide-stance tricycle landing gear with a steerable nose wheel and oversized tires offers improved ground handling for easier take offs and landings. Optional floats can also be installed for take-offs and landings on water!
- Scaled down from one of the best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio controlled (RC) airplanes—the E-flite Apprentice STS 1.5m
- The best and most convenient traditional trainer for first-time pilots and experienced pilots who teach others to fly
- Equipped with exclusive SAFE technology that helps prevent crashes and makes it easy to learn how to fly
- Beginner, Intermediate and Experienced flight modes you can easily change between at the flip of a switch
- Panic Recovery mode at the push of a button to prevent loss of control and crashes
- 100% complete including a controller/transmitter, battery and charger so there’s nothing extra to buy or provide
- Spektrum DXS controller/transmitter with industry-leading DSMX 2.4GHz technology for reliable control without interference
- Quick and easy assembly—no glue or special tools required
- Full line of replacement/spare parts available
- Spektrum AR631 receiver with fly-by range telemetry and industry-leading DSMX technology
- Spektrum 1300mAh 3S 11.1V Smart LiPo battery delivers long flight times up to 15-20+ minutes
- Spektrum S120 Smart charger works with a variety of USB power sources
- Powerful and efficient brushless power system including a 30-amp telemetry-capable ESC
- 4-channel control with four factory-installed servos for training to full aerobatic capability
- Capable of aerobatic manoeuvres including loops, rolls and upside down (inverted) flight
- Tricycle landing gear with steerable nose wheel for operation from a variety of surfaces
- Lightweight yet extremely durable EPO construction perfect for first-time pilots
- Optional floats available for flying from water (sold separately)
The Ready-To-Fly (RTF) version includes a Spektrum DXS controller/transmitter equipped with industry-leading DSMX 2.4GHz technology and everything else you need to fly including AA batteries for the transmitter, a Spektrum Smart rechargeable lithium polymer (LiPo) battery for the airplane and a Smart USB charger. That means there’s nothing extra to buy or provide so you can fly! The included transmitter, battery and charger can also be used with other Bind-N-Fly (BNF) Basic RC aircraft from HobbyZone and E-flite.
Spektrum Smart Battery and Charger
The RTF version includes a Spektrum 3S 1300mAh Smart LiPo battery and an S120 USB-C Smart charger that can be used with a variety of USB power sources. Simply connect the battery to the charger, and the exclusive Smart technology will determine and start charging at the best rate to properly and safely charge the battery automatically!
The Apprentice S 2 1.2m is equipped with a telemetry-capable ESC that can provide a variety of real-time power system related telemetry data to compatible transmitters. This includes approximate flight battery power remaining via multiple LEDs and audible alerts from the DXS transmitter included with the RTF version. It will also provide motor RPM, current, overall battery voltage and more to Spektrum AirWare equipped transmitters (including the DX6e and 8e, DX6 G2/G3 and 8 G2, the DX9, the NX6, 8 and 10, the iX12, iX20 and others) while you fly.
Construction with advanced EPO material delivers a lightweight yet durable airframe that’s tough enough to handle everyday flying punishment without getting bent out of shape. The wing attaches to the fuselage with rubber bands so it can twist or “pop” free in the event of a hard landing or crash to minimize damage. And in the unfortunate event you damage any airframe parts or components and can’t repair them, a full line of replacement parts is readily available.
The Apprentice S 2 arrives mostly factory-assembled with the power system, servos and receiver installed. All you need to do is finish some quick and easy final assembly, without the use of glue or special tools, and you’ll be ready to fly in less time than it takes to charge a battery!
The wide-stance tricycle landing gear with a steerable nose wheel and oversized tires offers improved ground handling for easier take offs and landings on a wide variety of surfaces from paved runways to grass parks and even dirt fields.
Turn the Apprentice S 2 into a float plane with the optional float set (HBZ7390; sold separately). Installation takes just a few minutes and all the necessary hardware is included with the airplane and float set.
Learn to Fly Successfully with SAFE Technology
If this is your first RC airplane, Horizon Hobby-exclusive SAFE (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology prevents over-control and crashing while also offering multiple flight modes to deliver more control and capabilities as your skills progress:
Pitch and bank angle limits prevent over-control that can result in a loss of orientation and crashes. When the control sticks are released the airplane returns to level flight on its own. Best of all take-offs are as simple as giving full throttle and letting the airplane fly off the ground or by giving it a quick hand launch.
More freedom in pitch and bank, but still prevents over-control and does not return to level flight on its own. This mode allows you to make tighter turns and to climb and descend faster as your skills advance.
No pitch or bank angle limits so you have complete control! You can even fly inverted (upside down) and perform aerobatic manoeuvres including loops, rolls, stall turns and more.
If you lose control of the airplane in the Intermediate or Experienced flight modes, simply press the Panic Recovery button or switch to Beginner Mode and release the control sticks. SAFE technology will automatically return the airplane to level flight.
HobbyZone Apprentice S 2 1.2m
Brushless Outrunner Motor (installed)
30A Brushless telemetry-capable ESC (installed)
4 x Servos (installed)
Spektrum AR631 6-Channel Receiver (installed)
Spektrum DXS 2.4GHz DSMX Transmitter
Spektrum 1300mAh 3S 11.1V 30C Smart LiPo Battery
Spektrum S120 USB-C Smart Charger
Needed to Complete
Nothing! Everything you need to begin having fun with the HobbyZone Apprentice S 2 1.2m is included!
Completion Level: Ready-To-Fly
Propeller Size: 8.25 x 5.5
Product Weight: 25.9 oz (735g)
Connector Type: EC3,IC3
Power Type: Electric
Skill Level: Level 1
Wingspan: 48″ (1219 mm)
Motor Size: 370
Product Length: 34.2″ (869 mm)
Approximate Assembly Time: Less than 1 hour
Landing Gear: Fixed, tricycle type
Speed Control: Included
Wing Area: 341.80 sq in (22.05 sq dm)